Monday, April 20, 2009

MS or OSS? Integration v. Features

I have to make a decision about a testing framework for my little project. I can't put it off any longer, or I'll really regret it.

At least in this category there's no shortage of options.
  • NUnit. Part of the xUnit family. Among them, they have very similar syntax and capabilities.
  • MSTest. This has a similar syntax, and is really well integrated into Visual Studio
I know that the purists out there would insist the one with more features, or the open source one for ideological reasons.

The power of a well-integrated solution shouldn't be dismissed. There's real merit in being able to get things going with a minimum of fuss, at the cost of long-term flexibility.

In this case, it doesn't look like I'll have to worry about it. ReSharper apparently integrates NUnit nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment