Saturday, July 18, 2009

Microsofting

Oh boy, coding on a Saturday night! What could be more fun?

Well, there's been a little tempest-in-a-teapot about some MS marketing blog being busted as an astroturfing site.

I like the response of the blog:

As for WordPress, I address using Microsoft competitor tools on my about page. Again, it’s not really a secret. You can see the flickr photos and youtube videos right there on the homepage.

All this is to say — you can hate on Microsoft and its advertising all you want … but I’m not sure it’s fair to act like it’s a big GOTCHA! to catch a marketing site being, well, a marketing site.


There's two bits I like about it. First, the obvious in-your-faceness of it.

Next, admitting that they use tools other than MS tools. You know, like the rest of the world. I've always found Redmond's self-rah-rahing and NIH attitude irritating. Microsoft's biggest weaknesses revolve around its isolation from the rest of the community. This is a welcome change. I wonder how long it will take for it to be beaten down?

No comments:

Post a Comment