Friday, July 17, 2009

ZFS and Upgrading Drives

Yea, okay, so this is common. In fact, I've done it with VMs before. I still think it is neat that I was able to upgrade an array without any downtime.

Before:
root@bluelight:~# zpool list
NAME SIZE USED AVAIL CAP HEALTH ALTROOT
data 888G 511G 377G 57% DEGRADED -
rpool 298G 6.28G 292G 2% ONLINE -

After:
root@bluelight:~# zpool list
NAME SIZE USED AVAIL CAP HEALTH ALTROOT
data 2.73T 511G 2.23T 18% ONLINE -
rpool 298G 6.27G 292G 2% ONLINE -


I ran into one snag. When I issued zpool replace data c4d0s0, it gave me a message about there being no such device. The solution was zpool replace data c4d0. I suspect that "s0" at the end of the original disk was a slice, and probably an artifact of how I set the system up to begin with.

The larger impact is that I've got a lot of room at very little cost. There aren't as many advantages to the high-end gear that there used to be. Everything I used is commodity class, or free. It doesn't suit all situations, but there isn't a reason for small businesses to be paying a lot of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment